Thanks for your interest in working with Chicago Children’s Choir.
We’re currently hiring for the following position:
About Chicago Children’s Choir
Serving 5,000 singers from all 57 Chicago zip codes, Chicago Children’s Choir (CCC) is a nonprofit organization that inspires and unites youth from diverse backgrounds to become global citizens through music. What began in 1956 as a small choir in Hyde Park fostering interracial understanding during the civil rights movement has grown into a network of over 130 choirs whose singers are empowered to bridge cultural divides and become ambassadors of peace in their communities. With programs in 92 Chicago schools, 10 after-school neighborhood programs, an ensemble for boys with changing voices called DiMension and the internationally-acclaimed Voice of Chicago, the diversity of Chicago Children’s Choir reflects the cultural landscape of the city. CCC is proud to provide access, with 85% of participants paying less than $50 for a year of programming. Under the leadership of President and Artistic Director Josephine Lee, CCC has become a civic treasure and a model of urban music education. In addition to numerous self-produced concerts and collaborative efforts with Chicago’s finest cultural institutions and as a result of its commitment to achieving intercultural understanding, CCC undertakes approximately 5 domestic tours annually featuring singers from the Neighborhood Choir Program and DiMension and an international tour featuring singers from Voice of Chicago.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Chicago Children’s Choir does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, religious belief, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs and activities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct assigned choir(s) using the curriculum and repertoire set forth by the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director.
- Attend all conductor meetings and professional development workshops as scheduled.
- Maintain high quality rehearsals and performance standards in regards to both the musical product and the level of discipline.
- Communicate regularly with the Choir administration to ensure consistency among all programs.
- Communicate regularly with parents to develop excellent relationships and programs.
- Run auditions at each In-School Program and/or Neighborhood Choir location.
- Prepare choirs for, and participate in, all concert events applicable concert events.
- Complete singer evaluations twice yearly for the In-School Program and Neighborhood Choir Program.
- Inform singers of opportunities for growth within the Choir and assist with promotion into more advanced Choir ensembles, when appropriate.
- Help raise awareness of Chicago Children’s Choir programs.
- Attend and assist with all Choir events as needed.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in music (music education preferred).
- Experience teaching (music education field is preferred).
- Experience working with children and youth from diverse backgrounds is preferred.
- Committed to working in a mission-driven environment.
- Must be able to take initiative.
- Must possess a high level of energy and self-motivation
- Must possess the ability to establish strong working relationships with individuals inside and outside the organization.
- Enjoy working with children.
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive salary with benefits for full-time employees including paid vacation, medical, dental and life insurance, as well as a tax-deferred retirement plan.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send the following materials to Evan Bruno, Manager of Choral Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover Letter
No phone calls, please.